Boardwalk Park was picked up and moved from the north side of Culver Road to the south side. It shut down in the 1950's. [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]
Boardwalk Park was picked up and moved from the north side of Culver Road to the south side. It shut down in the 1950's. [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]

Historical Location

Name: Seabreeze Amusement Park

Category: Amusement Park

Size: Refer to images on the right

Condition: Good, Recently Built

Inhabitants: Only Visitors

Map Location: North of Culver Road (then Woodland Road), where the Irondequoit Bay meets Lake Ontario. Marked on A5

Seabreeze Amusement Park. [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]
Seabreeze Amusement Park. [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]

Description (ca. 1921):
It was called Broadwalk Park then. The Amusement park had a lot of games and rides including a roller-coaster (The Jack Rabbit Ride), the Honeymoon Trail, a merry-go-round and a carousel. In 1923, a fire destroyed the Jack Rabbit's loading dock. Virginia Reel was built in 1921(image below). The first dance hall there, "Dreamland", was constructed in 1915. It burnt in 1923. In 1924, a dance hall, "Danceland" was constructed. The Jack Rabbit Ride was built in 1920, in place of an earlier coaster, Stahley's Roller Coaster. A bumper cars ride was built in 1922. In 1925, a natatorium was built. (images below)

The Natatorium was the largest heated saltwater pool in the world. [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]
The Natatorium was the largest heated saltwater pool in the world. [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]

In 1931 the Natatorium was drained and shut down. A roof was added and it became a bingo hall. Today the building is used as a warehouse for the park. [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]
In 1931 the Natatorium was drained and shut down. A roof was added and it became a bingo hall. Today the building is used as a warehouse for the park. [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]

The natatorium had water slides, a merry-go-round, diving platform, and bleachers for spectators. A restaurant too!

Virginia Reel
Seabreeze Park's Virginia Reel (1920):
Seabreeze Park's Virginia Reel (1920):

Jack Rabbit Ride A merry-go-round
The first carousel brought to Seabreeze by George Long Sr., 1904. [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]
The first carousel brought to Seabreeze by George Long Sr., 1904. [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]

After the fire, the Old Mill was rebuilt on the other side of the Jack Rabbit. In the 1940's the Old Mill was converted into a dry ride and renamed 'The Subway.' [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]
After the fire, the Old Mill was rebuilt on the other side of the Jack Rabbit. In the 1940's the Old Mill was converted into a dry ride and renamed 'The Subway.' [PHOTO: Courtesy Seabreeze Amusement Park]