Historical Location
external image dfaqsl.jpg

Name: Highland Park

Category: Park

Size: 19.63 acres

Condition: Good

Inhabitants: numerous plants, squirrels, birds, bugs

Map Location: E3

Description (ca. 1921):
The land that would one day make up the Highland Park was first owned by George Ellwanger and Patrick Barry. It consisted of the city reservoir and the Mt. Hope Nursery. Under the condition that a landscape designer would create an excellent forest, they gave this land to the Rochester City Council on October, 1887. That next year, the City of Rochester Parks Commission was created to manage the city parks until 1916. They soon choose Frederick Law Olmsted to design the park.

In 1890, the park was created. It boosts over 1200 lilacs, Japanese maples, 35 types of magnolias, barberries, dwarf evergreens, 700 kinds of rhododendron, azaleas, mountain laurel, andromeda, horse chestnuts, spring bulbs, wildflowers, and trees. There is also a three story pavilion, which serves as a focal point for the park.

References:
http://www2.monroecounty.gov/parks-highland.php
http://www.highlandparkconservancy.org/the-1890-park.aspx